Wednesday, August 17, 2005

What I'm Up To

1. Working on applications for the Fulbright and Marshall Scholarships

2. Studying for the GRE and getting a headstart on Real Analysis

3. Moving in to my new apartment

4. Finalizing the list of grad schools (assuming I do as well on the GRE as I have been doing on practice exams... right now I would like to go to Yale above all else, but my top realistic choice is Ohio State)

5. Freaking out about the idea that I might not get in to grad school at all and thinking of contingencies (actuarial science looks like option B right now)

6. Not keeping up with the econ blog community because it stresses me out


More to come

3 Comments:

Blogger Adam M Osman said...

I know what you mean about number 6. Reading MR or DeLong doesn't stress me out but once I hit up the Princeton Review or Testmagic message boards I just get depressed. The problem is questions like "I only have a 3.95 from a top 20 university and a 4.0 in math including topology and graduate analysis... where do you think I should apply to?" Actually it seems like the answer is what bugs me "Ahhh... your an average applicant, apply to all top 20 schools, maybe you'll get lucky"

Ugh.

Sorry, hope I didn't ass to the stress.

I am sure you'll do fine and OSU is a great school for a back up!

Good Luck!

August 17, 2005 at 8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Andy, I'm with you on 2,4, and 5. If you don't get into where you'd really like to go, have you considered working in research for a year or two? There are a number of research positions that are pretty much intended for building up one's resume before a PhD -places like the Board of Governors, etc. It would help to solidify a research background and you could probably land a good LOR or two as well.

August 22, 2005 at 4:14 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Was ass to the stress intentional, or did the left hand get shifted to the left of home row? I honestly believe that ass isn't used as a verb enough.

August 22, 2005 at 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home