Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Minnesota

After the visitation weekend, I am 99.99% certain that I will be at Minnesota next year. For those who are interested, here is why:
1. Students do a lot of research in later years, so they do well on the job market.
2. Attrition is really low. Only 1/25 students from two years ago have left the program! So it is true when they say on the website that the quals are not used to weed people out.
3. They do macro extremely well, and the fed is like a second department for them, so this really matches my current interests. The downside is that if I decided that I liked econometrics, I would be screwed... but I don't foresee that happening.
4. The city is much cooler than most people think. And to me, it is awesome.
5. The department got us drunk both nights we were there.

So, I am really to the point that I don't think anything less than a full fellowship from UCLA would change my decision. And I am sure that I won't be getting one of those. So, I will be a Golden Gopher... don't eat me Paul.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ram said...

Andy,

Congratulations from another TMian! It's nice to know that we both among many others have our happy endings in this long and gruesome application process.

We may both end up working for the Fed someday. At least that's something I definitely look forward to. I hope we'll stay in touch, and I wish you all the best!

April 12, 2006 at 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats dude and best of luck! It look slike I will be chillin' at Maryland next year.

April 13, 2006 at 9:17 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Heh, wow, looks like a lot of TM folks have found this place. Thanks guys, and best of luck to you, too!

April 13, 2006 at 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I'm not exactly sure what a golden gopher is, I do question the ability of said animal and a badger to peacefully coexist. There's always beer.

April 13, 2006 at 7:35 PM  
Blogger Adam M Osman said...

Congrats!

I am sure the cold weather is a plus for you too.

And the attrition rate sounds awesome.

April 14, 2006 at 9:58 PM  
Blogger Abdullah Al-Bahrani said...

Congratulations and best of luck.

April 16, 2006 at 6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home